Associate Head of School
Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy’s Associate Head of School, an executive officer reporting to the Head of School, consults with the Head of School and other key senior leaders to identify and support FA’s objectives for visibility, enrollment, advancement, and special program operations. Working closely with the respective department leaders, this position is responsible for developing and guiding the overall strategies that guide marketing and public relations, enrollment, advancement, capital projects, and special initiatives.
The AHOS must be strategic, creative, and pragmatic in balance. He/She must have an understanding of, and a firm commitment to, the central mission of FA as an independent town academy serving a diverse student population comprised of boarding and day students; a successful record of both managerial leadership and customer service; effective experience in data analysis; a proven ability to communicate with all constituencies inside and outside of the Academy.
The AHOS is responsible for daily operations in the absence of the Head of School and for supervising directors in the following administrative areas: admission and summer programs, communications, and advancement. The AHOS regularly travels in support of admission and advancement efforts and works closely with the Head of School, the Director of Budget and Finance, a number of board committee chairs, and the senior team.
- Guide, support, and supervise the admission director in achieving enrollment targets
- Guide, support, and supervise the advancement director in achieving advancement targets
- Supervise the communications director, ensuring proactive, consistent, and strategic publications, web, and social media presence in service of the school’s admission, advancement, and reputational aims
- Serve as a primary liaison with the MWV SKI team and other partnership developments
- Collaborate with the director of facilities, director of budget and finance, and the chair of building and grounds on capital projects
- Oversee the establishment of and ensure proper staffing of FA summer programs and summer facility use
- Collaborate in the design and execution of the school’s strategic plan
- Serve as a key advisor to the Head of School, other members of senior administrative leaders, and the Board of Trustees
- Act as head of school when designated
- Serve on the Senior Team
Qualifying Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree
- Relevant leadership and management experience in an independent school setting; experience as an associate/assistant head preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Dispositions
- Demonstrated knowledge of management principles and practices
- Ability to use salient data for planning
- Experience as a relentless problem-solver who takes initiative and contributes as a results-oriented, analytic, strategic thinker
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy; patience
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to manage, evaluate, and motivate staff; ability to innovate
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies fairly, respectfully, consistently, and with integrity
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities; ability to work under pressure
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy – a belief that shapes all decisions: financial, operational, legal, educational, and ethical
- Commitment to leadership as a team-based endeavor and the collegial, frank communication and collaboration that team processes entail
All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a Fryeburg Academy application, letter of interest, résumé, statement of educational leadership, college transcripts, and a list of three or more references (including contact phone numbers and email addresses) to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be accepted until February 6, 2023. Anticipated start date for this position is July 1, 2023.