Associate Director of Advancement Communications
St. Paul’s School, Concord, NH
The associate director of advancement communications will help develop and lead the execution of a comprehensive communications strategy designed to promote and foster high-quality, lifelong, and meaningful engagement between St. Paul’s School and its alumni and parents. The person in this role will be well-versed in creating and managing multichannel, audience-segmented campaigns and communications pieces that speak directly and authentically to the School’s alumni and parent bodies. The associate director will partner closely with colleagues in the Communications and Advancement offices, as well as multiple departments across campus, to grow and sustain a culture of giving and active engagement among alumni and parents. This person will serve as a vital link between Advancement and Communications, developing a clear and responsive channel of communications and effectively managing a deadline-driven strategy in support of annual and capital fundraising, leadership giving, alumni engagement, and donor stewardship. This role will require an instinct for what makes a good story; an ability to effectively manage multiple projects; a passion for delivering high-quality content; and a sense of joy derived from working with two dynamic teams toward a common mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Others may be assigned at any time at the discretion of the director of communications.
- Serves as a day-to-day liaison between Communications and Advancement, developing and executing projects in partnership with both teams.
- Internalizes the School’s core mission and values and ensures that messaging framework is consistently executed in all digital and print materials for the Advancement Office.
- In parallel, ensures the School’s visual identity is accurately and consistently represented on all School alumni- and parent-related channels and provides guidance to SPS Advancement colleagues in the proper application of the School’s brand.
- Utilizes data, benchmarking, and best practices as foundational resources in the development of advancement communications strategies that are targeted by audience or affinity, as defined by the project.
- Develops and executes a creative brief project management system between Advancement and Communications to ensure clarity of expectations and timelines for all projects supported by Communications.
- Is a source of expertise in the field of advancement communications and stays current on industry trends and best practices within the education industry.
- Skillfully writes and edits materials for the Advancement Office’s audiences, including campaign materials, case statements, impact pieces and other media, as needed.
- Collaborates closely with director and associate director of communications on a multichannel storytelling strategy designed to produce content for multiple purposes and audiences. Develops a pipeline for this content to be shared between the Communications and Advancement offices.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Travel Requirements: Occasional travel may be required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the St. Paul’s School community. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity.
- 8 or more years of experience in strategic marketing and/or communications desired. Some amount of experience in independent school or college/university advancement offices is expected.
- Bachelor’s degree in creative nonfiction writing, journalism, English, communications, marketing or related field.
- Deft project management expertise, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects on time, and on mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a high degree of emotional intelligence, and the ability to clearly and persuasively communicate concepts and ideas.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and executing projects across all aspects of advancement communications, including fundraising, stewardship and engagement.
- Experience in capital campaign fundraising is preferred.
- Demonstrated mastery of high-quality, professional-level concept development, copywriting and editing, including experience writing, editing, proofreading, and organizing content for print, websites, and other electronic publications/communications.
- Ability to adhere to strict deadlines, work under pressure with composure, and exercise a very high level of attention to detail.