Associate Director of Admission
The Governor’s Academy, Byfield, MA
The Governor’s Academy, the oldest boarding school in New England, inspires and engages inquisitive students in ninth through twelfth grade. Our 456-acre campus is located thirty miles north of Boston and five miles south of Newburyport, a classic New England coastal town. Govs has approximately 400 students and 200 employees.
Govs faculty and staff are committed to creating and cultivating an intentionally diverse and inclusive community that allows students to learn from each other’s unique backgrounds and experiences, discover their passions, find and use their distinctive voices, and achieve academic and co-curricular excellence. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Adults in our community are professionals who appreciate individuality, collaboration, and service to others— all so that we can go far together.
This full-time faculty position reports to the Dean of Enrollment and assists with all aspects of the Academy’s admissions and recruitment process. Campus housing may or may not be available.
- Responsible for participating in all aspects of the recruitment and admission process
- Develop and cultivate relationships with prospective students and families and serve as the primary point of contact throughout the admission and application process
- Conduct interviews, representing The Governor’s Academy in a positive and honest manner
- Review and evaluate admission applicants as a member of the Admission Committee
- Attend secondary school fairs, visit consultants, schools, alumni, and parents, promote The Governor’s Academy, and exchange information with interested parties
- Manage or assist with the planning and execution of Revisit Days, Open Houses, Information Sessions, and other in-person and virtual admission events
- Travel domestically and internationally, as needed
- Contribute to the advising program
- Participate in one season of afterschool activities. Athletic Coaching or Performing Art Directing experience preferred
- Perform other faculty duties as assigned (includes some weekday and weekend student supervisory responsibilities)
Bachelor’s degree required; 3-5 years experience in an Admissions Office; experience in coaching and/or playing interscholastic athletics, directing, and/or experience on stage in the performing arts preferred. Knowledge of independent and/or boarding school life preferred; must be a self-starter and work independently; exceptional organizational skills with high attention to detail; ability to make decisions; excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to interact professionally and work collaboratively in a group setting; some travel required. Must be able to work collegially, be committed to working in a diverse community; have experience working, engaging, and communicating with diverse populations; enjoy working with young people in a boarding school environment.
Must have a valid driver’s license, and current passport, and successfully complete a CORI/fingerprinting check.
STATEMENT OF SCHOOL VALUES
As an educational community, the Academy has an administration, a faculty, and a student body committed to learning. We pursue this commitment in a dynamic environment that fosters lifelong intellectual independence, responsibility, teamwork, service, and respect for others. We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive community that is physically and emotionally healthy.
Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy or a condition related to pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, physical or mental disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, military service, application for military service, or any other category protected under state or federal law. Please notify us if you wish to request a reasonable accommodation to complete this application, interview for the position, or otherwise participate in the hiring process. We will consider all such requests in accordance with applicable law.