Assistant Director of Technology
Beaver Country Day School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Beaver Country Day School—an independent day school located just outside of Boston, serving grades 6-12—seeks a creative, innovative, and forward-thinking Assistant Director of Technology. This is a full time, 12-month position that will report directly to the Director of Technology, and is responsible for end-user support, networking, cloud administration and classroom/meeting room technology. Hours may vary to accommodate special events; this may involve occasional weekend work and some evening or early morning work, depending on school events.
About Our School & Our People:
We are not your typical independent school. Education is not traditionally seen as forward-thinking. But that’s not the case at Beaver. We welcome change and seek feedback to continuously improve. The Beaver c flexibility, risk-taking, open-mindedness, and innovation. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real-world context and experience, and our clients are our students.
The Beaver mindset and approach to teaching place our students at the center of learning experiences in all settings, curricular and co-curricular.
- Our students in grades 6-12 are interesting and passionate individuals, who, above all, are genuinely happy to be at Beaver. We provide students with opportunities to be co-creators of their learning, making it a deeper, more meaningful experience. We are committed to providing an educational environment in tune with the real world and doing authentic work.
- Our teachers and educational leaders are committed to—and excited about— expanding the nature of school, and igniting and fueling the passions of all our students.
- Our mindset is to make excellent mistakes, launch/test/refine, and not be defined by binary thinking. Instead, we look to approach things from a both/and outlook: tradeoffs don’t have to be the answer and instead, that’s where creativity comes in. We are a community of creative thinkers and doers.
- Our values include collaboration, partnership, and above all, creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our community. This work is a priority and steadfast commitment. It is never “done”, and we will always make decisions with this at the core of who we are. For all Beaver students to feel a sense of belonging, it’s important that they see themselves reflected in the community, curriculum, and all our programming.
- Our goal every day is to create a school that is making an impact – for our students, and for education as a whole.
About the Position:
Candidate requirements & responsibilities
Assistant Director of Technology will:
- Provide technical support and training to students, faculty, and staff—including 1:1 initial equipment setup.
- Work with students and faculty on how to effectively use technology to enable teaching and learning.
- Help manage the wired and wireless network infrastructure.
- Assist the Director of Technology with budgeting, purchasing and licensing.
- Assist in event support for audiovisual and computer needs.
- Create, update, and monitor technical support tickets.
- Install and configure hardware and software with a focus on usability and security.
- Troubleshoot technology issues.
- Help perform tests and evaluation of new software and hardware.
- Manage the phone system.
- Manage the inventory.
- Help write documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple priorities and pivot when necessary.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with network/system administration and cloud services.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment.
- Able to support OS X, Windows, iOS, and WiFi networking.
- Enthusiastic about working in a school environment with both students and teachers ( grades 6-12).
- Experience with Cisco Meraki or similar firewalls, switches and access points.
- Experience with scripting languages and APIs.
- Experience with Mitel or similar phone systems and telecommunications.
- Experience with Mosyle or a similar MDM platform.
- Experience with Blackbaud, PowerSchool, and Apple School Manager.
- Experience with Google Workspace administration.
- Experience with data visualization.
- Experience with cybersecurity and student data privacy.
Approach to teaching and learning:
The successful candidate will have a commitment to:
- Aligning the work to the BVR Mindset and New Basics as critical to the Beaver Student Experience
- A future-focused education with an understanding of the complexity and ever-changing nature of the world our students are inheriting
- A “next practice” mindset that understands how teaching and learning are changing and how practices should adapt
- Student-centered, culturally proactive, and responsive pedagogy in which all students are met where they are, and see themselves represented and valued
Additional things to know:
- Generous Benefits (Health, Dental and more). For more information visit our website.
- Breakfast and lunch provided, as well as coffee and snacks.
- Free parking and close to the MBTA Green Line D.
- Complete vaccination against COVID-19 is currently a condition of employment at the School. The School considers requests for exemption on medical or religious grounds on a case-by-case basis. The School’s COVID-19 and other policies are subject to change at any time.