Assistant Director of Auxiliary Programs
The Wheeler School, Providence, RI
Founded in 1889, The Wheeler School is a co-educational independent day school for over 800 students from Nursery through Grade Twelve in Providence, Rhode Island. Central to the School’s philosophy is a simple concept: Wheeler is a place where we strive to make any pursuit possible for our students, where choice, inquiry, and interest are of primary import, where we know individuals well and insist upon and nurture intellectual character, empathy, critical thinking, and creative spirit.
Ideal candidates for faculty and staff positions at Wheeler are people with a sense of humor, warmth, and humility. They are excellent communicators, with an ability to listen and a desire to learn from colleagues. They are ambitious, have an entrepreneur mindset, and are hardworking, often going over and above. When developing curriculum and programming, our faculty and staff members are collaborative, striving each year to stretch and grow, to implement new ideas that improve the Wheeler experience for students and our overall community. They come from all professional walks of life – graduate programs, private and public schools, other careers entirely. More than anything, our faculty and staff members love to spend their days with young people and enjoy all that the Wheeler community – creative, energetic, dynamic, and diverse – has to offer.
Description: The Assistant Director of Auxiliary Programs will provide support, guidance, leadership, and an entrepreneurial mindset overseeing the coordination and administration of all aspects of after school programs, summer programs, facility rentals, a preschool program, School Store, and public/private partnerships including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities. This is a full-time, 12-month exempt position reporting to the Director of Auxiliary Programs.
Qualifications: A minimum of five years relevant work experience in a summer camp, an adventure program, and a variety of recreational programs. Experience with primary school-age children is a plus. An Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management, Elementary Education, or Early Childhood Development is desirable. Successful candidates will have the energy and ambition to support the development of Wheeler’s Auxiliary Programs to the highest degree of educational excellence. They will be organized, attentive to detail, safety conscious, and motivated by authentic interest in the experience of the children in the programs. They will balance the opportunity to develop exciting programs with a conviction to market them aggressively through a variety of digital avenues, including social media and the school’s website.
They will also have well-developed managerial and interpersonal skills, the ability to build (and follow) a budget, a genuine appreciation of young people, a sense of humor, and a great deal of energy.
General responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Auxiliary Program Director to support the Wheeler School’s Auxiliary Programs strategic initiatives.
- Manage database software, billing and receivables, and other records of importance.
- Support marketing, advertising, and promotional efforts of programs and activities.
- Support the formulation of department-related policies and procedures.
- Co-manage Wheeler Afterschool Programs which includes planning and providing for the safe operations of the program in a manner consistent with the policies and philosophy of the School. Daily responsibilities include directing and supporting staff in delivering programming to grades Nursery to 5 until 5:30 pm.
- Manage the online School Store operations. Managing the online platform, packaging and shipping, quality control, marketing, and recording and reporting sales, billing, and inventory control.
- Plan and implement additional care-based programs for days when school is not in session due to school vacations and parent/teacher conferences.
- Work closely with parents, administration, and faculty to address the needs of individual students enrolled in after-school programs.
- Maintain accurate registration records for all programs and provide up-to-date information to the Business Office.
- Serve on the summer leadership team for the Wheeler Summer programs.
- Support and lead outdoor education and team-building events and programs.
- Support and assist the Director of Auxiliary Programs in formulating policy and procedures and generally, support the Director of Auxiliary Programs to deliver the highest quality programming possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
Statement on Diversity and Cultural Competency
At Wheeler, we actively seek students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds in the belief that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhance learning, enrich life on campus, and better prepares us all for full participation in a pluralistic, democratic society. We seek to further the overall diversity and cultural competency within our community through hiring.
Salary to be determined based on experience and education. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume via email with the subject line “Assistant Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Bob Rojee, Director of Auxiliary Programs. If hired, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
The Wheeler School is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or disability, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law.