Assistant Director of Admissions
Fayerweather Street School, Cambridge, MA
Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a leading independent, progressive, PK-8 all gender school in the Fresh Pond area of Cambridge, MA. The school has recently transitioned to an integrated advancement structure that includes admissions, enrollment management, fundraising, alum relations, community engagement, and marketing and communications. FSS seeks professionals who are looking to join an innovative, passionate, and welcoming community.
FSS seeks an Assistant Director of Admissions (ADA) to begin on July 1, 2023. The successful candidate will represent the school and assist in a variety of admission activities, including recruiting, interviewing, and selecting mission-aligned students. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, dynamic, and articulate team player; have strong organizational, writing, and public speaking skills; and be able to work in a fast-paced environment. The ADA works collaboratively with the Director of Enrollment Management, Head of School, Advancement Team, and school leaders and demonstrates enthusiasm for Fayerweather and for telling its story while being nimble, flexible, and skilled at building cohesion across the community for enrollment goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the Admission Team’s comprehensive recruitment and retention plan, promoting FSS and its general enrollment goals.
- Primary commitment is to the recruitment of mission-appropriate students: setting metrics to assess outcomes, support the research and execute strategies to increase yield from target markets.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with educational consultants, placement directors, and local feeder schools.
- Attend and represent FSS at conferences, fairs, community events, and other recruitment opportunities.
- Collaborate with advancement team members on communications plan and marketing materials for development, maintenance, and execution of the enrollment communication plan targeting prospective and admitted students, as well as current students and families as appropriate as they move through the admissions process.
- Serve as liaison between Admissions department and classrooms/teachers via observations, activities, etc.
- Interview prospective students and families, and observe applicant visits.
- Enter all notes, contacts, and communication regarding recruitment details and prospective families into the database in a timely manner.
- Organization and oversight of the Parent Ambassador Program, including coordinating Ambassadors for prospective, admitted, and enrolled family tours, events, and activities.
- Collaborate with the advancement team to plan and implement all FSS admission events, initiatives, virtual events, visits, and yield and welcome activities for prospective, admitted, and enrolled new students.
- Collaborate with advancement team to plan, implement, and provide support for additional special enrollment and retention-focused events including writing and sending regular e-newsletters to prospective and admitted students regarding all upcoming events and information.
- Evaluate student files and participate in Admissions Committee and Enrollment Management Meetings.
- Create and manage delivery of enrollment contracts to new and returning students
- Work with IT on migration of enrolling students from Blackbaud Enrollment Management to Core SMS.
- Stay abreast of trends and best practices in enrollment management.
Key Skills, Qualifications, and Qualities:
- Actively supportive of the school’s mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and social justice.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years experience in an admission-related role at an independent school
- Understanding of market research, demographics, and cultivation strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Conversational Spanish is a plus (though not required)
- Creative, dynamic, energetic, self-starter, motivated, dedicated, with strong work ethic, strong follow-through skills, joyful and outgoing personality, good sense of humor, and poise
- Superior interpersonal and social-emotional skills, including self-awareness, empathy, patience, active listening ability, and clarity of thought and communication
- Builder of partnerships; a collaborator; a networker
- Highly discreet, with great respect for confidentiality and the dignity of children and adults alike
- Outstanding organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail; able to prioritize and balance a variety of projects simultaneously and meet critical time deadlines under significant pressure; short- medium- and long-term project management and execution skills
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently and as part of a small, interconnected, advancement and administrative
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends during the school year as workload demands
- Flexibility, a sense of humor and an inclination to find the joy in working with kids, adolescents, and their families.
- Proficiency with the Google platform, Word, Excel, school and enrollment management database systems and software, website management, and social media tools. Familiarity with Blackbaud preferred and Photoshop and design programs is a plus.
Salary range: $60,000-$75,000/annually. Position available July 1, 2023. FSS welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and belonging in their work and learning. Fayerweather Street School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition, or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Assistant Director of Admissions. You may submit samples or links to portfolios if you choose. Please be prepared to provide 5 references, at least two of your references must be someone who is/was your direct supervisor. Applications will be reviewed as received and hiring will continue until the position is filled.