Art Teacher (Part-time)
Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy, a 650-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative Art teacher beginning late August 2024. This part-time position involves teaching two classes of ceramics and/or sculpture during both Semester I and Semester II as well as running an afterschool art club several days a week. The last three weeks of each school year are a stand-alone period called May Term during which teachers offer non-traditional classes that focus on experiential learning or using knowledge in new contexts.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Outstanding knowledge of art subject matter and techniques
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by a passion for the arts
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a working studio environment and in a wide variety of media
- The ability to effectively instruct students with a range of skills and experience, from students new to art to those who hope to pursue a career in the visual arts
- Ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Interest in collaboration with other arts faculty members in the implementation of the interdisciplinary Arts Certificate Program
- The ability to contribute to the vision of the visual arts program, including to curriculum, student skill development and outcomes, and a variety of content and media
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in education or visual arts field required; master’s degree preferred
- Art 6/9-12 teaching certification preferred
- All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit the following documents in PDF format: application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).