Art Teacher (Anticipated FY24 position)
Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
|Fryeburg Academy, a 625-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative Art teacher beginning late August 2023. This full-time position involves teaching five classes of Art at various levels. Candidates must have a highly developed knowledge of varying art techniques and pedagogy. The successful candidate will demonstrate the enthusiastic ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a diverse range of academic interests and skills.
Fryeburg faculty have significant responsibilities connected with the school’s boarding program and extracurricular offerings. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community. Experience working with students outside of the classroom- tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor- is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions:
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by a passion for the arts
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a working studio environment, in a wide variety of media
- Effectively instruct students with a wide range of skills and experience, from students new to art, to those who hope to pursue a career in the visual arts
- Interest in collaboration with other arts faculty members in the implementation of the interdisciplinary Arts Certificate Program
- Provide a vision for the visual arts program that includes curriculum, student skill development and outcomes, and a variety of content and media
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- A willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Outstanding knowledge of art subject matter and techniques
- A desire to work with students both in and out of the classroom. In particular, a willingness to serve as an academic advisor for a group of 10-14 students for their four years of high school.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in education or visual arts field- Master’s degree preferred
- Art 6/9-12 teaching certification preferred
- All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (email@example.com).