Afternoon Visual Art Instructor – Middle/Upper School
Beaver Country Day School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Beaver Country Day School—an independent day school located just outside of Boston, serving grades 6-12—seeks a creative, innovative, and forward-thinking Afternoon Visual Art Instructor. This is a part-time position for the 2023 – 2024 school year that will report directly to the Head of the Visual Art Department.
About Our School & Our People:
We are not your typical independent school. Education is not traditionally seen as forward-thinking. But that’s not the case at Beaver. We welcome change and seek feedback to continuously improve. Our “Launch, Test, Refine” mindset promotes flexibility, risk-taking, open-mindedness, and innovation. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real-world context and experience and our clients are our students.
The Beaver mindset and approach to teaching place our students at the center of learning experiences in all settings, curricular and co-curricular.
- Our students in grades 6-12 are interesting and passionate individuals, who, above all, are genuinely happy to be at Beaver. We provide students with opportunities to be co-creators of their learning, making it a deeper, more meaningful experience. We are committed to providing an educational environment in tune with the real world and doing authentic work.
- Our teachers and educational leaders are committed to—and excited about— expanding the nature of school, and igniting and fueling the passions of all our students.
- Our mindset is to make excellent mistakes, launch/test/refine, and not be defined by binary thinking. Instead, we look to approach things from a both/and outlook: tradeoffs don’t have to be the answer and instead, that’s where creativity comes in. We are a community of creative thinkers and doers.
- Our values include collaboration, partnership, and above all, creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our community. This work is a priority and steadfast commitment. It is never “done”, and we will always make decisions with this at the core of who we are. For all Beaver students to feel a sense of belonging, it’s important that they see themselves reflected in the community, curriculum, and all our programming.
- Our goal every day is to create a school that is making an impact – for our students, and for education as a whole. We don’t take that work lightly, we need people that are relentlessly committed to it and excited to do this work—together.
Approach to teaching and learning:
The successful candidate will have a commitment to:
- Aligning the work to the BVR Mindset and New Basics as critical to the Beaver Student Experience
- A future-focused education with an understanding of the complexity and ever-changing nature of the world our students are inheriting
- A “next practice” mindset that understands how teaching and learning are changing and how practices should adapt
- Student-centered, culturally proactive, and responsive pedagogy in which all students are met where they are, and see themselves represented and valued
About the Position:
The Afternoon Visual Art teacher is responsible for managing all aspects of the Middle School and Upper School Afternoon Art programs. Currently, these programs run Monday through Friday from 2:35 – 3:35 p.m. for the middle school and from 3:45 – 5:00 p.m. for the upper school, and aligned with the academic school year calendar. Both programs are in-person.
Strong candidates will have:
- Experience working with Middle and Upper School age groups
- Content expertise in Contemporary Art and technical skills related to art making
- Knowledge in differentiated instruction
- Willingness and ability to design curriculum
- Knowledge of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice practices and commitment to ongoing growth in this area
- Utilize technology to enhance instruction and student learning
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and parents/caregivers
- Provide frequent, constructive, objective, and prompt feedback to students
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Remain knowledgeable of current instructional trends
- Seek and constructively use professional feedback
- Model organization and preparation to meet all professional responsibilities reliably
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Additional things to know:
- Free parking and close to the MBTA Green Line D.
- Complete vaccination against COVID-19 is currently a condition of employment at the School. The School considers requests for exemption on medical or religious grounds on a case-by-case basis. The School’s COVID-19 and other policies are subject to change at any time.