Afternoon Maintenance Technician
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Date Available: Immediately
The Afternoon Maintenance Technician performs a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled building maintenance and repair tasks at all BB&N locations. The Afternoon Maintenance Technician works from 1:00 pm to 9:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Hours may be modified to the day shift when school is not in session.
BB&N is comprised of 300,000 square feet on approximately 15 acres. Operations of the physical facilities include a wide array of services including maintenance, environmental compliance, preventative maintenance, repairs renewal and replacement, provisions of utilities and energy management, groundskeeping, custodial, fire, and life safety, waste disposal and recycling, facility vendor management and logistical support for campus events.
Duties may include painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, heating/cooling, minor roof/building repairs, event setup, and related work. The Afternoon Maintenance Technician will work independently, with minimal supervision to accomplish specific tasks. Assignments will be made verbally by the supervisor, or via email or work order.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Repairing and maintaining buildings and structures; installing/repairing acoustical ceilings, floor coverings, drywall, roofs, doors, door hardware, furniture, and equipment;
- Completing requests, including hanging whiteboards, installing shelves, assembling furniture; and other related items
- Performing minor electrical repairs and maintenance including but not limited to the replacement of switches, outlets, incandescent, and fluorescent bulbs, and ballasts
- Performing minor plumbing maintenance including but not limited to unclogging of drains, replacement of plumbing hardware, and making repairs to leaks
- Performing minor HVAC maintenance and repairs including but not limited to changing filters, oiling equipment, and visual inspections
- Preparing and painting various surfaces; interiors & exteriors, walls, furniture, siding, etc.
- Operating light automotive equipment to travel to facilities and to transport materials, furniture, and equipment
- Completing work orders assigned in a timely and complete fashion
- Following safety guidelines when performing all tasks
- Pick up and delivery of materials/equipment as needed
- Participating in trash and recycling and snow removal operations
- Other duties as required
Skills & Competencies:
The ideal candidate will have experience in a building trade such as carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, or a combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to the employment standard listed above and that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Additional qualifications include:
- A valid Driver’s License
- Knowledge of the materials, tools, methods, and equipment used in a building trade such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and painting.
- Knowledge of repair practices for structures, furnishings, and equipment, and work safety practices
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of electrical and HVAC systems
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations, fire and life safety standards
- Understand and work from plans & specifications
- Work with limited supervision
- Follow oral and written instructions
- A problem solver
- Ability to work both indoors & outdoors during inclement weather conditions
- Ability to perform physical labor (climbing and working off a ladder, bending, stooping, and lifting up to 50 pounds)
- Use BB&N email, Computerized Work Order System, MS Office software
- Provide supervision, training, and assistance to others as required
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in the preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.