St. John’s Prep, Danvers, MA
St. John’s Prep is an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School for young men in grades 6 through 12. Founded on the Xaverian values of compassion, humility, simplicity, trust, and zeal, we educate students to be, do, and stand for good in the world. We enroll approximately 1,500 students from more than 90 communities in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Position Overview & Responsibilities
The Office of Admission is seeking qualified candidates to apply for the entry-level position of Admission Counselor. Reporting to the Director of Admission, the Admission Counselor will be part of a dynamic, goal-driven team responsible for recruiting, enrolling, and retaining students for grades 6 through 12. This individual will manage a caseload of prospective students from point of inquiry onward, review applications for admission, and advise prospective families, school counselors, placement directors, and other constituencies about St. John’s Prep and the admission process.
The Admission Counselor must have the willingness and ability to work some extended hours, including evenings and weekends, as required. This individual must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, appropriate auto insurance coverage, and the willingness to travel to local schools to aid recruitment efforts. In addition, this individual must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 20 lbs. The Admission Counselor will be expected to actively and fully support our mission and identity as an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School. This is a salaried, full-time, 12-month position.
Key responsibilities include:
· Assisting in the development and execution of a strategic vision for recruiting, enrolling, and retaining highly-qualified students with diverse experiences and backgrounds in the Middle School and High School.
· Managing a caseload of approximately 325 families from point of inquiry through matriculation, which includes facilitating their relationships with the Prep and communicating our value proposition.
· Accurately and professionally representing St. John’s Prep to prospective students and their families at school fairs, individual school visits, and other on-campus and off-campus admission events.
· Evaluating applications for admission in an efficient, organized, and unbiased way in accordance with the Office’s method of review.
· Serving as a member of both the Middle School and High School committees that makes admission decisions.
· Helping to plan, execute, and staff virtual, on-campus, and off-campus admission events.
· Conducting campus tours and interviews, as well as facilitating our Eagle for a Day shadow program for prospective students.
· Assisting the Associate Director of Admission with managing both the Middle School and High School student ambassador programs.
· Developing positive long-term relationships with teachers, school counselors, and placement personnel at feeder schools and community-based organizations.
· Engaging faculty, staff, administrators, current students, current families in the admission process.
· Sharing responsibility for meeting institutional enrollment goals.
· Providing a welcoming presence and helpful attitude when engaging with both internal and external audiences.
· Ensuring professional and effective telephone, mail, and email communications.
· Monitoring and managing multiple email accounts.
· Executing routine tasks such as photocopying, scanning, and data entry.
· Developing a strong understanding of our admission system (SchoolAdmin) and the School’s student information system (Blackbaud).
· Acquiring a strong knowledge of our financial aid system (Blackbaud Financial Aid Management) and how the Prep awards tuition assistance.
· Assisting the Assistant Head of School for Enrollment Management with the re-enrollment of students if needed.
· Other responsibilities as determined by the Director of Admission.
Skills and Competencies
· Outstanding interpersonal and public-speaking skills, in addition to the ability to communicate effectively by phone and email, as well as through virtual and in-person settings, with many different audiences.
· Excellent planning, problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational skills.
· Ability to think in innovative and strategic ways.
· Perform duties with a high level of professionalism and accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Prioritize work assignments and juggle many projects concurrently.
· Work effectively both independently and collaboratively and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
· Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
· Knowledge of St. John’s Prep and our campus partners to be able to answer questions from prospective families.
· Knowledge of and or experience with admission process at independent secondary schools.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Experience working independently and as part of a team in order to meet project and task deadlines as required.
· Knowledge of and/or experience with the admission process at private middle and/or high schools preferred.
· Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
· MS Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Google Suite (Mail, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Slides, Calendars) experience required.
· Familiarity with database systems strongly preferred.
St. John’s Prep is committed to building a diverse and inclusive campus community. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups. We seek applicants who demonstrate a commitment to multiculturalism and diversity that is manifested in classroom practice, student engagement, interpersonal communication, and curricular decisions. For more information about our academic, spiritual, and student life programs, please visit www.stjohnsprep.org.
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, résumé, and academic transcripts to Tracii Schaeublin, Assistant Head of School for Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.