Academic Support Specialist: Math and Science
Walnut Hill School for the Arts, Natick, MA
Walnut Hill School for the Arts seeks an Academic Support Specialist for Math & Science to join the School’s Academic Support team. The Academic Support Team works through the Skills Center to support the learning needs of all students at Walnut Hill including study habits, organization, and content area support. This is a part-time (.45 FTE) position during the academic year reporting to the Director of Academic Support.
Student Support Responsibilities
- Meet with students individually or in small groups to assist them in finding success in math (Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, Calculus and Trigonometry ) and science (Biology, Chemistry, and Interdisciplinary Sciences);
- Meet with students individually or in small groups to assist in standardized (SAT, ACT, etc) testing preparation;
- Manage the Math & Science Drop-In support service;
- Assist students who are independently taking Global Online Academy courses; and
- Collaborate with Math & Science faculty to ensure continuity of teaching methods and strategies as support both inside and outside of the classroom.
Collaboration & Community Engagement
- Complete required paperwork, forms, surveys, employment documents, background checks, fingerprinting, online training programs, request and report absences, accidents, and injuries, and follow other school policy and legal requirements by established deadlines;
- Participate in the School’s diversity, equity, and inclusion, and restorative justice initiatives; actively learn about and practice anti-racist work;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across all departments to foster a positive working and educational environment for students and employees to support the school’s mission, vision, and core values;
- Participate in communal programming, all-school events, art events, and support student performances, art openings, exhibitions, and other campus-wide activities if appropriate and instructed by supervisor; model and encourage appropriate behavior and monitor students during events and programming;
- Attend and participate in required faculty and staff meetings and department meetings; participate and engage fully in individual reviews and evaluations; be open to feedback and work with supervisor to set goals and expectations for the future;
- Attend and participate in appropriate Professional Development (PD) days, training programs, orientation programs, benefit meetings, mandatory seminars, team-building exercises, and safety training/drills as directed by your supervisor; and
- Display willingness and ability to grow, learn, explore new approaches, and practice self-reflection.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field required;
- Standardized Testing Certification/Training (SAT/ACT) preferred;
- 2+ years teaching or tutoring experience required; experience working with adolescents preferred; education or experience working with students with remedial and enrichment needs;
- Strong knowledge of math and science subject matter; ability and willingness to continue to learn and grow;
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a safe, brave, and inclusive community;
- Possess cultural competence in working with diverse populations and commitment to learning about and practicing anti-racist work;
- Experience with or interest in working with international students and families;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a wide range of people;
- Ability to handle highly sensitive information with discretion and keep high standards of confidentiality;
- Ability to work independently and effectively; possess strong collaboration and team-oriented skills;
- Comfort with technology and willingness to adopt new technologies as needed; strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications; and
- Possess and exude a positive attitude, passion for teaching and learning, and a sense of humor!
Walnut Hill School for the Arts, located in Natick, Massachusetts and 20 minutes from Boston, is an independent boarding and day high school offering a transformational educational experience designed for student artists in grades 9–post graduate. Walnut Hill combines a comprehensive college-preparatory academic curriculum with intensive, pre-professional artistic training in theatre, dance, music, visual art, and writing, film & media arts. Walnut Hill is committed to creating and enhancing an inclusive environment, and welcoming and celebrating a wide range of cultural, artistic, and educational backgrounds that compliments and supports our diverse community.
Commitment to the school’s Core Values, of Community, Growth, Excellence, Creativity, and Respect are imperative to the success of all Walnut Hill faculty, staff, and administration members. All Walnut Hill faculty/staff are active and engaged members of the school community who are committed to collaborating and growing in their field, participating in school events, supporting students in their arts, supporting other faculty/staff members, and who have the ability to self-reflect on their own practice.
Walnut Hill School for the Arts has implemented health and safety protocols to mitigate the risk of the transmission of COVID-19. All employees and community members are required to follow the School’s policies and procedures, including wearing masks and participating in weekly COVID-19 testing, as directed by School Administration. All employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have a valid medical or religious exemption. All health and safety protocols and policies are subject to change based on state, local, and CDC guidelines and at the discretion of School Administration.
Physical demands include dexterity for tools and equipment and office machine and supply operation including but not limited to writing, typing, using electronic devices, computer, phone, calculator, copy/fax machine, and printers. Stooping, bending, traveling to/from locations on campus, ascending/descending stairs, reaching and sitting or standing for extended periods of time are common.
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter through the Walnut Hill School for the Arts online Career Center.
Note: All offers of employment are contingent upon enrollment and the successful completion of state and federal background checks. Walnut Hill does not provide visa sponsorship.