The Putney School, Putney, VT
The Putney School is seeking an Academic Dean, a full-time administrative position to begin work on July 1, 2023. The Academic Dean is responsible for leading The Putney School faculty in envisioning and implementing a thriving, operationally-sound, mission-aligned, and educationally progressive academic experience for our students.
About The Putney School: Putney is a progressive boarding school for 230 hardworking and curious students in Putney, Vermont. Hands-on learning is embedded in the school’s culture: a working dairy farm, expansive arts offerings, a robust work program, miles of wooded trails, and large solar arrays serve our curriculum.
Employees are also part of an intentional residential experience that values belonging and community. We seek applicants who find joy in their work and help others realize how much fun authentic, student-centered learning can be. The school cultivates and sustains an educational community that values difference. Community members explore how they contribute to building a home at Putney where everyone, especially those from historically-marginalized populations, can honor their individual racial, gender, ethnic, and socio-economic identities. Putney recognizes this is difficult, communal work. The school supports all its employees in developing this critical skill set.
- Lead the continual development and improvement of the academic program at Putney
- Partner with dean of faculty and department chairs to improve curriculum and support faculty
- Collaborate with other administrators and school leaders to promote efficient school operations
- Oversee curricular offerings, such as international travel, related to the academic program
- Create and manage academic and special event calendars and schedules
- Lead exhibition, project week, and independent study programs
- Oversee academic advising for students and families and advisors
- Communicate with students, families, teachers, and advisors regarding academics concerns
- Manage process for supporting students not meeting academic expectations
- Supervise the Registrar’s Office and partner with the Center for Teaching and Learning
- Collect data around the efficacy of our efforts
- Serve as an administrator on call and on Putney’s administrative team
- Competitive compensation depending on experience
- Health benefits, paid vacation, and 403(b) retirement plan contributions
- On-campus housing
- Annual professional development opportunities
Qualifications: BA or higher, with five or more years of experience in the fields of teaching and learning, especially in a progressive setting. Ideal candidates will possess strong leadership aptitude, an understanding of the joys and challenges of boarding school life, a commitment to their work, an ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, and expertise communicating a vision while paying attention to detail.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 5, 2023. We will continue reviewing applications until the position is filled.