7th/8th Grade Science Teacher
Thayer Academy, Braintree, MA
7th and 8th Grade Science Teacher
Seeking a full time, salaried 7th and 8th Grade Science teacher. Reports to the Middle School Director.
|Roles & Responsibilities|
- Teach 7th grade Physical Science and 8th grade Anatomy and Physiology
- Serve as an advisor
- Lead two self designed activities open to 5th-8th graders
- Apply practices in classroom and other settings that foster equity, inclusion and belonging among Thayer Academy community members
- Engage in ongoing professional development
- Serve as an athletic coach for one or more seasons (preferred)
- A bachelor’s degree required, Masters (or higher) preferred in Education, Science, or related field
- 3-5 years teaching experience at the Middle School level preferred
- Passion for working with middle schoolers, and desire to build relationships
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in the classroom, in curriculum, and in relationships with members of the school community
- High level of comfort and experience with technology in a educational setting
- Willingness to work on a team in a collaborative department
- Ability to communicate and listen effectively with students and families
- Physical Science and Biology knowledge and experience
- Experience with Design Thinking or Project Based Learning curriculum development
- Experience with Responsive Classrooms or other SEL curriculum and training
- Knowledge of robotics and programming
- Desire to engage in community science projects
|About Thayer Academy|
Thayer Academy’s mission is “to inspire a diverse community of students to moral, intellectual, aesthetic, and physical excellence so that each may rise to honorable achievement and contribute to the common good.” In its hiring practices, Thayer Academy seeks candidates who come from a broad range of backgrounds and can contribute to a diverse community, who love working with young people, who thrive when engaged in multiple arenas of school life, and who welcome professional growth.
Located next to Braintree’s historic district and just up the hill from the MBTA’s final Red Line stop is the historic 34-acre campus of Thayer Academy. Since 1877, our coeducational day school for grades 5-12 has been a dynamic learning environment in which each student is affirmed, supported, and challenged to grow and meaningfully achieve as young scholars, athletes, artists and leaders. Thayer continues to be a place where tradition and innovation meet, and where students form lifelong relationships with one another and with inspiring teachers who care deeply about their students’ personal growth and academic success.
Thayer is rooted in the intentionally holistic education of our students, who are viewed as whole individuals with affinities and talents in many areas. Unique to Thayer, because of deliberately coordinated scheduling, it is possible to be both a varsity athlete and sing on stage in the school musical–students here are not forced to choose one path or another. There is a supportive and collaborative camaraderie that pervades our halls and campus–one where students view their classmates as partners, encouraging one another to discover their hidden talents and develop them into lifelong strengths.
When you work at Thayer Academy, you join a warm community of students, parents, and colleagues who value not only academic achievement but also a supportive environment in which continual growth and learning is encouraged and supportive through a robust array of professional development opportunities.
- Please email your resume, cover letter, educational philosophy statement, and the names and contact information for three to five references including two present or past supervisors to firstname.lastname@example.org attn:Galen Hamann, Middle School Director.
- Thayer Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with and adheres to all state and federal anti-discrimination laws with respect to its employment practices. Thayer Academy does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin or ancestry, age, or disability, or any other category protected under state or federal law. This policy extends to recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, assignment, working conditions, promotions, transfers, termination, re-employment, education, tuition assistance, employee treatment, and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment. All employment-related decisions are made on a nondiscriminatory basis so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity.