Jackson Walnut Park School, Newton, MA
Jackson Walnut Park School is an early childhood and primary school sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Located in an historic neighborhood in Newton, JWP features an accredited Montessori early childhood program and a K-6 independent school in the Catholic tradition. The school offers a rich, discovery-based curriculum, which includes STEAM education at all grades, a language arts program that follows Lucy Calkins’ Units of Study, the Responsive Classroom social and emotional learning (SEL) program, and foundations in three languages by sixth grade: Spanish, Mandarin and Latin. A vibrant arts program, diverse after school activities and childcare options, and a caring, values-based community that espouses the mission of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston support the development of well-rounded children who, in the words of our mission: “love learning, love God, and love one another.”
Jackson School seeks full-time Maternity Leave Classroom Teacher (Grade 5) for the fall of the 2022-2023 school year (from school opening through Winter Break).
Broad responsibilities include:
- Planning and delivering the classroom curriculum in language arts, math, science, social studies and STEAM, along with the religious and values-based curriculum aligned with our mission.
- Establishing and maintaining expectations for student behavior; supporting students in understanding community standards with positive reinforcement and guidance.
- Collaborating with colleagues to ensure consistency of program, to deliver curriculum and to coordinate activities and interdisciplinary projects.
- Coordinating with teacher on maternity leave to prepare the class for her transition back to the classroom.
- Communicating regularly and effectively with parents about student progress, both formally (report cards, progress reports, etc…) and informally (phone calls, emails, etc…).
- Participating in the life of the school, including scheduled extra duties (playground supervision, lunchroom supervision, etc…) and, where possible, attending after hours events (Admissions events, school performances, etc…) that reflect commitment to the success of the school and the development of the whole child.
- Conducting one’s self in a manner consistent with the school’s mission and values, and as a role model for the young people in our charge.
- Planning and delivering curriculum effectively through distance learning methods should the need arise.
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree with a major in elementary education, with a preference for an advance degree. She/he will have at least two years prior experience, with a track record of success working with children in a classroom setting. Pluses include: Independent or Catholic school experience, familiarity with Responsive Classroom practices, experience and facility with educational technology (especially Google Classroom, Zoom, educational apps).
The salary for this position will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate. Benefits are set and conferred through the corporate office of the Sisters of St. Joseph. Interested candidates can obtain additional information about the school by visiting our website at www.jwpschools.org.
To apply, candidates should electronically submit a letter of interest and a resume with three to five references to email@example.com indicating Maternity Leave Teacher in the subject line. No telephone inquiries please. All electronic applications will be acknowledged upon receipt, and those candidates who best match Jackson Walnut Park School’s qualifications will be contacted.
Jackson Walnut Park School, in the treatment of employees and applicants for employment, is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination. The school and its representatives follow the laws that govern hiring practices and focus fairly and consistently with every applicant on the talent, skills, and abilities needed for the job.