5th grade Social Studies + Math teacher
Glen Urquhart School, Beverly, MA
About Us: Glen Urquhart School (GUS), is an independent, coeducational day school for students in Pre-K through grade eight. Located 45 minutes north of Boston in Beverly Farms, GUS was founded in 1977 with an experiential, place-based philosophy that integrates all subjects and creates opportunities for students to be passionate in their pursuit of knowledge.
The Position: We seek a motivated and flexible 5th grade teaching team member, who understands how young people learn, to teach social studies and math sections. The Teacher, in direct collaboration with their teaching partners, plans and executes developmentally appropriate lessons that meet the needs of Glen Urquhart School students in math and social studies most specifically. All units of study are coordinated with other team members to ensure a cohesive curriculum focused on The Land theme. The GUS curriculum is thematic, place-based, and interdisciplinary. This position is full time and eligible for benefits.
Key Responsibilities: As an independent day school, we expect teachers to become involved in the life of the school. Beyond classroom work, teachers attend weekly school meetings, school functions, and community events. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the mission and philosophy of the School
- Demonstrating academic excellence through a working knowledge of GUS’s core curriculum
- Organizing the classroom and establishing routines that support young children’s learning
- Planning lessons that are interdisciplinary and thematic
- Participating in parent conferences and meeting with parents regularly
- Working collaboratively with grade level team
- Keeping accurate and up-to-date records on student progress
- Meeting with the administrators as scheduled
Qualifications: At GUS, we recognize that there are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. When reviewing applications we take a broad look at the experience of each applicant in order to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. That said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of one year of elementary or middle school classroom experience or equivalent
- Familiarity with the developmental needs of elementary-age students and current theories and practices that support a dynamic elementary education program
- At Glen Urquhart, we seek teachers who believe in differentiated and developmentally-aligned models of teaching and learning; understand the importance of instructional technology; and are attuned to the social and emotional growth of students. Teacher certification is not required.
Salary to be determined based on experience and qualifications. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references with the subject line “5th Grade Teacher” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Glen Urquhart School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic background, age, disability, or military service in its hiring, employment or other programs and activities.