5th grade General Studies Teacher
JCDS, Boston’s Jewish Community Day School, Watertown, MA
Upper Elementary General Studies Teacher 2022-2023
JCDS, Boston’s Jewish Community Day School, is committed to serving families across a wide spectrum of belief and practice. The school has several hallmarks: Hebrew and English spoken throughout the day; Jewish and General studies integrated in many areas; a commitment to creative, academic excellence; and living a joyful Jewish life in a welcoming community. JCDS was founded in 1995 and serves students in grades K-8. We encourage everyone in our community to approach life with a growth mindset. We value our professional staff and invest in their ongoing development. Our professional community is rooted in collaboration, generosity of spirit, and a passion for our mission. JCDS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.
A JCDS teacher models the core values of a JCDS education: integrity, perseverance/resiliency, curiosity, multiple perspectives/empathy, problem solving, reflection and evidence, and creates a student-centered, rigorous, play-infused learning environment for students.
Candidates for this position should demonstrate a passion for teaching children as well as a deep understanding of how to design and run an academic program that meets the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of young children. The general studies teacher is responsible for Literacy, Math and Social Studies content and skill acquisition. The candidate should possess excellent communication, organization and class management skills and should demonstrate a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues in the classroom to create a joyful, Jewish learning community.
- Lead instruction in Literacy, Math and Social Studies;
- Lead students in activities to promote their physical, mental and social development and their school readiness;
- Evaluate the progress of students and discuss progress results with students, parents and administrators;
- Develop course materials and curriculum content;
- Set up and maintain a classroom space that supports a child-centered approach to instruction;
- Identify children’s individual learning needs and design learning experiences to support them;
- Work with other classroom teachers and support specialists to ensure a cohesive, loving classroom environment
A JCDS teacher should possess, and be open to cultivating, the following skills:
- Supporting the creation of a joyful, Jewish learning environment;
- Team Teaching (including shared leadership, a collaborative culture, working together to achieve agreed-upon goals, personal accountability, and clear communication);
- Implementing pedagogical knowledge to teach reading, writing and math in ways that emphasizes analytical thinking;
- Working collaboratively with colleagues;
- Fostering and modeling Growth Mindset
- Differentiating for diverse learners;
- Responding to unexpected student behaviors;
- Fostering teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships;
- Integrating multiple perspectives into teaching, including perspectives across various social identities;
- Creating unit and lesson plans through the Backwards Design approach;
- Engaging in reflection around one’s teaching practices;
- Implementing effective assessments and using the data to inform teaching
Job Type: Full-time
Please submit a cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org, placing the title of “Upper Elementary Teacher” in the subject line.