4th Grade Language Arts Teacher
The Fenn School, Concord, MA
Fourth Grade Language Arts Teaching Position
The Fenn School seeks candidates for a full-time position teaching fourth grade Language Arts and either Social Studies or Science and serving as a fourth grade advisor and athletics coach. A successful candidate will be a proactive and collaborative educator who can support the mission of the school and work well with students, parents, faculty, and staff. Candidates should possess an understanding of the social, emotional, and cognitive development of fourth grade boys, as well as a familiarity with current best practices for helping boys become organized students and confident and capable readers and writers. Specific characteristics needed include strong classroom management skills and the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Planning and teaching one Language Arts course and one Social Studies or Science courses in grade four
- Collaborating with Language Arts colleagues in tracking student progress and supporting student needs
- Working collaboratively with colleagues in Science or Social Studies Departments, depending on teaching assignment.
- As an advisor, supporting the social, emotional, and academic development of advisees in partnership with parents and the Division Head
- Athletic coaching in Fenn’s Lower School (grades four and five)
- Completing regular formal reporting of student performance
- Informing Academic Department Chairs and the Division Head about student progress
- Bachelor’s degree required; additional training or experience preferred
- Three or more years of teaching experience preferred
- A background in differentiated instruction and the skills which underlie effective reading and writing instruction, as well as the ability to cultivate strong executive functioning skills in students
- A knowledge base regarding the acquisition of reading and writing skills and the early elementary remediation of reading and writing deficits
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with colleagues
- A love for working with boys
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with and commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work in a school setting
- A track record of successful classroom management skills
- Proficiency with technology in support of learning
The Fenn School is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body. A successful candidate will, therefore, be a proactive and collaborative educator who is also committed to the manifestation of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in the Fenn community. The ideal candidate will be able to support Fenn’s mission in all work with students, parents, faculty, and staff. Fenn strongly encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and contact information for professional references via email attachment to Nat Carr, Assistant Head of School, at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Receipt of materials will be acknowledged via email.
The Fenn School does not discriminate in hiring or terms or conditions of employment on the basis of sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, age, marital status, military or veteran status, application for military service, race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.