4th grade Homeroom Teacher
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
About Brookwood School:
Brookwood is an Early Childhood through Grade 8 independent school of 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued. Because when kids skip down hallways, learn with curiosity, think deeply and take risks, they confidently walk into whatever’s next. Our rigorous academic program helps kids become innovative creators, ethical leaders, contributing citizens and lifelong learners.
Brookwood seeks an outstanding teacher that has a deep knowledge of child development and best practices for teaching upper elementary students, exceptional written/verbal communication skills, and an infectious sense of fun. Dedicated to graduating students that are upstanding global citizens who embrace a culture of curiosity, kindness, and academic accomplishment, Brookwood actively pursues candidates with a strong focus on multiculturalism, equity, and inclusion. The ideal candidate will have a strong literacy, mathematics, and social studies teaching pedagogy and content knowledge, be well-versed in current best practices and show evidence of the ability to build a positive classroom community and strong partnerships with families. The candidate will put students’ needs at the center of decision-making, will be a self-reflective educator who models a growth mindset, and will be an inspiration to and collaborator with a high-performing faculty.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of elementary-level lead classroom teacher experience
- Commitment to culturally proficient teaching practices and social/emotional learning
- Experience with specific curriculum:
- Lucy Calkins Units of Study
- Responsive Classroom
- Master’s degree in related field
- 3+ years of elementary-level lead classroom teacher experience
- Experience with curriculum such as:
- TERC Investigations
- Plan and implement a curriculum that reflects developmental and academic benchmarks and fosters social-emotional growth, meeting all students’ unique journey along the learning continuum.
- Communicate regularly with faculty, administration, and parents about the academic, social, and emotional health of students.
- Monitor learning through assessments and observations.
- Engage in professional development to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and belonging goals at Brookwood.
- Supervise recess, snack, and lunch times to support students’ ability to transfer social skills learned in the classroom to less structured venues.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé, and statement of educational philosophy to Alicia Drury, receptionist, at email@example.com.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood.