3D Studio Assistant – Visual Art Department
Walnut Hill School for the Arts, Natick, MA
Walnut Hill School for the Arts seeks a 3D Studio Assistant to join the Visual Art Department of a boarding and day high school in Natick, Massachusetts, to assist in the maintenance of the School’s Ceramics and Sculpture studios. This is a part-time position during the School year working approximately 6 hours per week with a flexible schedule to be determined in consultation with the Director of Visual Art. Come join our team!
The instructional 3D facilities at Walnut Hill include a full Ceramics studio and a Sculpture studio containing a small woodshop with varied equipment and materials. A busy and lively environment, the studios are used by 50 plus students per semester.
The 3D Studio Assistant will assist in the maintenance of both studios, with a majority of the routine work in the Ceramics studio. Job training to be provided at the studio. Studio classes run from 2pm – 5:30pm, however Visual Art majors utilize the studio throughout the day, evening, and weekends working on projects. The assistant will have the opportunity to engage with and support students working in the space.
The ideal candidate is punctual and responsible, and is a strong communicator who works independently as well as collaboratively, has a positive attitude, and enjoys being part of a small team and working with student artists.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performing routine maintenance tasks around the studio as directed: recycling clay, sieving glazes, scraping and washing kiln shelves, organizing tools, cleaning and maintaining work spaces;
- Occasional special projects such as making test tiles;
- General studio assistance; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Some previous experience in clay is required; general knowledge of Ceramics and Sculpture studio equipment and processes is a plus;
- Flexibility in scheduling;
- Ability to respond to verbal instructions with excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to be punctual and responsible;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a safe and inclusive community; and
- Professional demeanor, positive attitude and ability to work well with students, faculty, staff, and community members;
- Ability to stand for long periods of time;
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs;
- Must be 18 or over to operate some equipment.
Physical demands include dexterity for department specific tools and equipment, working with clay and other materials, and mechanical, and supply operation including but not limited to using 3D studio tools and equipment, power and hand tools, writing, typing, using electronic devices, computer, phone, office machinery, copy machine, fax machine, and printers. Walking, ascending/descending stairs and ladders, stooping, bending, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing/pulling, and sitting or standing for extended periods of time are common. Ability to move continuously during work hours and ability to lift, push/pull and/or carry up to 50 pounds using appropriate tools is required. Work environment may include machinery noise. Proper use of applicable personal protective equipment (PPE) is required.
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter through the Walnut Hill School for the Arts online Career Center.
Note: All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of state and federal background checks. Walnut Hill does not provide visa sponsorship.